Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Food for thought...

I just started reading A Year with Dietrich Bonhoeffer, and already I've encountered some passages that resonate deeply. They don't seem to need a lot of preamble or explanation. So, here they are:

God loves human beings. God loves the world. Not an ideal human, but human beings as they are; not an ideal world, but the real world. What we find repulsive in their opposition to God, what we shrink back from with pain and hostility, namely, real human beings, the real world, this is for God the ground of unfathomable love.

and

While we exert ourselves to grow beyond our humanity, to leave the human behind us, God becomes human; and we must recognize that God wills that we be human, real human beings. While we distinguish between pious and godless, good and evil, noble and base, God loves real people without distinction.


It's kind of amazing isn't it? That human is just what God created us to be. And as much as we rail against this human life, this is what God intends for us. God even joined us here, to redeem us...we human beings. We are where God's love is revealed, this world. We have borne witness to Love itself. "...this is for God the ground of unfathomable love."

2 comments:

kirsten said...

unreal. I just, *JUST!* put that book on my nighttable for reading. Bonhoffer's only been on my 'must read' list for a year or so.

Anyway. What an incredible (and reassuring) thought.

Amy said...

You wanna know the truth? I wasn't even looking for this book, but it just happened to be in the used book section at Barnes and Noble when I went there just to browse the other night. I have another of Bonhoeffer's books that I received from my mother-in-law back when I was in college. So, when I saw this one, I couldn't resist. I was surprised and delighted when I started to read last night and found these words in the very first reading. I'm looking forward to this year with Bonhoeffer! May your journey through this book be blessed, as I'm hoping mine will be!

Related Posts with Thumbnails